Zombie Creation: The Road

There’s a lot of zombie stuff out there, and most of it is crap. People like to jump on bandwagons and produce quick tie-ins rather than investing love and effort into their creations. Luckily for you, I’m here to help separate the wheat from the chaff. Check back every Thursday, when I’m going to share the coolest zombie-related creation I can find out there on the web.

This week’s creation, “The Road” by Yatkuu (badass MOCers and all around cool guy), is take on one of my favorite books of all time, Cormac McCarthy’s The Road. If you haven’t read it yet, do so. Seriously, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Yatkuu's take on The Road

So yeah, Yatkuu knocks another one right the hell out of the park with this one. There aren’t any zombies here (or in the novel, but whatever), but we do get to people in a desperate fight for survival in one of the harshest world’s imaginable. Even if you haven’t read the novel or seen the film, you get a very clear sense of what’s going on here: a father a son scraping by in a world that’s crumbling into dust.

Yatkuu packs a ton of detail into a tiny 16×16 creation (HINT!), with a massive freeway overpass towering over the overgrown roadbed below. On top, our heros trudge along, pushing a shopping cart containing their only supplies along a broken road, stearing clear of burned out car wrecks and the dessicated remains of the drivers.

I love everything from the photography, to the build, to the color scheme on this one, but my favorite thing here is how well he captured the characters with his selection of minifigs.

Have you seen a great zombie-related creation out on the web? Are you working on the next great zombie MOC as we speak? Well you had better let us know right away, otherwise we’ll never be able to include it here.

Zombiemutts

“16×16 creation (HINT)!”

Hint?! Why Dave….can you tell us more?

I wonder what that means…..

Hmmmmmmmmm

Yatkuu

Thanks Zombiemutts!
You know what’s the best part of this MOC to me?… the pillars of the bridge are mostly made out of 25 years old classic castle discolored grey bricks! I tend to be pretty sentimental with my Lego.. and knowing that after 25 years I can still enjoy these tiny bits of plastic is an amazing thing.

Yeah, this this is just incredible.

I too like the old classic gray used for the pillars. The color definitely adds to the overall mood.

zombiemutts

“the pillars of the bridge are mostly made out of 25 years old classic castle discolored grey bricks”

Thats great! Last night I had this blown up on my monitor and I was wondering how you did that.

I am not sure how people refer to these type of mocs…the cut out of a scene just focusing on one area….This is something I want to work on next.

Yatkuu

I don’t know if this what you mean but you may find some useful info on this blog, it’s specialized in Lego vignettes. The guy also wrote some posts on the evolution of Lego vignettes… interesting stuff.

zombiemutts

I guess I didn’t truly understand what “vignette” meant until now since they aren’t really labeled right on flickr.

Yatkuu

Building vignettes is really great. On one hand it is challenging because your space is limited and you need to think out of the box to fit in the elements that will make your MOC recognizable and cool.
On the other hand it’s the perfect answer to people who own a limited amount of bricks because you won’t need to have a big collection to make something nice.
See Dave? How I subtly advertise for the concept?

Yatkuu

Thank you Dave for featuring this! I appreciate this even more knowing that you are a big fan of the original story, that tells me that I somehow managed to capture the emotion of the book/movie. (Yeah I have not yet read the book, shame on me.. it’s on my “To Do”! – btw, what did you think of the movie? is it true enough to the original?)

You’ve definitely captured the tone here, which is quite an accomplishment.

As far as the movie goes, I liked it, but I don’t think it holds a candle to the book. It’s a beautifully shot film, and Viggo Mortensen was exactly who I would have cast as the father, but it just didn’t quite capture the same feelings for me as I get reading McCarthy’s novel.

angelina

Dumb question… what is MCO and don’t you post these on Thursdays not Fridays? I love the Bonus Features and don’t want to see those go.

MOC = My Own Creation, just a little acronym for someone’s LEGO build.

And yes, I do post these on Thursdays now. I’ll update that copy right now (thanks for pointing that out).

Also, I’m glad to hear you love the Bonus Features. It’s a little different from what we normally do here.

angelina

Yatkuu – this is beautiful! I want to read the book but I am afraid that I’ll cry. I blubbered like a baby watching the movie. Your other stuff is way awesome as well.

Nope, and I’m really glad they didn’t. I think leaving that unexplained puts the focus on the characters rather than the situation.

Yatkuu

Same here Angelina, I had tears in my eyes watching the movie so I fear to start the book. Stupid moments like the scene with the Coke can really moved me.
Thank you for your kind words on my builds!

angelina

When they finally get to wash up in the tub made me cry. That they finally felt safe enough to clean up triggered it. That and the old blind man.

legomiles

Me: (looks at pic) Nice MOC!
(reads description, ‘Yatkuu knocks another one right the hell out of the park with this one.’ (smashes face on table)

Brickzedhunter

This
Makes me think what an modern apoc would feel like fo a father and son hm good job. (sob) (wipe Tear) so I wonder whAt the announcement will be after thanks giving