Zombie Creation: TheDudePerson’s Entry

There’s a lot of zombie stuff out there, and most of it is crap. People like to jump on bandwagons and produce quick tie-ins rather than investing love and effort into their creations. Luckily for you, I’m here to help separate the wheat from the chaff. Check back every Friday, when I’m going to share the coolest zombie-related creation I can find out there on the web.

We’re going to kick off the featured creations from the Freeform Challenge with our runner up: TheDudePerson. Coincidentally, TheDudePerson runs another fantastic LEGO zombie comic, Zombie Outbrick. If you haven’t check it out yet, get on it!

I liked TheDudePerson’s entry for a lot of reasons, but if I had to choose just one, I would say ambition. There’s a lot going on in this scene, from the awesome number of zombies, to the crazy amount of custom printed elements, to the really cool nighttime lighting, onto the fantastic buildings and vehicles that give the scene context.

This is a lot of zombies I love the framing on this shot

While the scale of the zombie outbreak here is incredible, my favorite element of this whole scene is comparatively muted:

Obviously this assumes a future where the newspaper industry doesn't completely die out

And it just wouldn’t be a Bricks of the Dead contest if I didn’t make a guest appearance. Unfortunately for me, I don’t survive in TheDudePerson’s world:

Behold the undead Dave

These are just a few samples of his work; make sure to check out the whole set here.

Have you seen a great zombie-related creation out on the web? Are you working on the next great zombie MOC as we speak? Well you had better let us know right away, otherwise we’ll never be able to include it here.

the dude person

Hah, well different people’s zombified LEGO avatars just might make cameo appearances in Zombie Outbrick at some point. (Paricularly other comic authors, or perhaps their characters.)

Zombie Dave is bound to show up in the next zombie crowd scene. 😉

the dude person

Hah! It’d be very difficult to do… I may just have to zombify Frank, or you as the producer in News 6. 😉

Of course, if I had a monkey, I could always paint it grey or something… Hmm…

the dude person

I’m glad you liked my entry, Dave!

Part of the reason my zombie horde is so big is that I make most of my zombies with decals. When I had about 15 or 16 zombies made up or assembled, I remembered the scene in BotD a while back in which Sam ran through a small crowd of zombies. If I remembered correctly, you had a total of 18 zombies in that scene, so for my MOC, I used 19! 😉

I’m somewhat amazed at how much people seem to like that newspaper. It was one of the last things I did, almost an afterthought; I almost didn’t make it at all, but it ended up being the thing you liked most in my entire entry! I’m glad it turned out so well.

I was very pleased with how everything turned out overall, and I’m honored to have been the runner up. 🙂 (Although I don’t yet have my prize from Nikolai, but he explained that it would take a while, and I’m sure he’ll do his best to get it to me.)

And thanks for pimping Zombie Outbrick, Dave! 😉

My pleasure. Great creation, and Zombie Outbrick is a lot of fun as well. Sorry for the late response; I’ve been busy all weekend.

the dude person

Ah, I can relate, Dave. I’ve been quite busy recently as well. (In fact, I even had to follow your example and postpone Episode 27 of Zombie Outbrick, due to Labor Day. 😉 )

BrickVoid

Would Dave make a live appearance in his own webcomic, in regular strips that are a part of the regular storyline? 😀

Perhaps he, too, would get bitten! Or maybe he’d live, who knows! Dave has had the most experience with zombies so I’d expect he’d last quite a while! 😀

I won’t make an appearance in any regular strips, but whenever there’s a comic-style announcement I’ll show up.

zombies! :)

This is amazing!*Dora voice* My favorite part was when the zombie shot out his tongue at the survivor and ate his insides! What’s was your favorite part?

That was creepy. Love the photos. Haven’t been keeping up with zombie outbrick. Should get on that later.
*consults a piece of paper* wow. Not gonna do that for a while. I’ll make time. I left off when the guy almost shot his boss.

the dude person

Hah, I think what you’re talking about is the zombie with a white baseball cap eating an intestine-snake out of the wounded soldier’s abdomen. 😉

I’m glad you like my photos!

And wow, you haven’t been reading Zombie Outbrick for a long time. You’ll probably want to start back at Episode 7… (Episode 26 was just released today, by the way, so you don’t want to wait too long before you go back to reading ZO!)

You can go right to Episode 7 with this url:

I didn’t make it a link, because I think that means that Dave has to approve this comment before it shows up. As if he needs any more work to do! 😉

Anyway, I hope you check out my comic again soon. It’s very different from Episode 7, now. (I’ve even been using a new, better camera since then.)

zombiemutts

Seriously….has anyone ever used a piece for a better unintended use than the he did in that first pic with the red snake?

Also “A Tough Decision (Night Version)” was very interesting to me. It works as a supplemental photo in a series of photos more than a one pic moc but it was minimalist creativity at its best when taken as a whole. Honestly TheDudePerson…I think that one photo (when taking into consideration the qualifiers above) is the best thing you’ve done. It’s a lot of story telling in one pic and the title is what sells it.

the dude person

Hah, I’m not sure I can take credit for the red snake. It seemed like one of the best pieces to use for gore out of all the red pieces I had, but I’ve seen it elsewhere before. (I think it might even have been in BotD.) But I agree, it is a great unintended use for a snake!

And I’m glad you like “A Tough Decision (Night Version)!” 🙂 I’m a big fan of simple, visual storytelling, and I’m glad that got across in that picture. As for the title, it took me a while to come up with it. It was a tough decision! 😉

the dude person

Well, the reason for that is quite simple: I don’t have a LEGO sausage piece.

I should probably start buying more LEGO sets, instead of just getting Pick-a-Brick pieces…