Zombie Creation of the Week: Night of the Lego Zombies

There’s a lot of zombie stuff out there, and most of it is crap. People like to jump on bandwagons and produce quick tie-ins rather than investing love and effort into their creations. Luckily for you, I’m here to help separate the wheat from the chaff. Check back every Friday, when I’m going to share the coolest zombie-related creation I can find out there on the web.

This week’s creation, “Night of the Lego Zombies” by designbysoup.co.uk, hits a lot of the things I love to see in a creation: great photography, LEGO® figures in the real world, and an awesome sense of kinetic energy. I mean, just look at these shots. You can almost feel the chaotic action, can’t you?

Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. Must go faster... must go faster...

As you can probably figure out from the username, these guys are professional photographers. It really shows in these shots, but do yourself a favor and browse through their photostream. There’s a lot of great stuff in there.

Have you seen a great zombie-related creation out on the web? Are you working on the next great zombie MOC as we speak? Well you had better let us know right away, otherwise we’ll never be able to include it here.

Calicade

Yes! Perfect! I love this one the best out of any you have ever posted up!… Why? They are using grass in their photography. THE BEST… I use to play with my legos out in the grass when I was smaller and I had so much fun with my awesome lego man versus other lego people with hand made weapons.. Was always a “OMGOMGOMG” when I found an actual lego weapon.

I don’t know what it is, but I just love seeing these setups in the real world. I mean, it has to be done well so the scale doesn’t look totally weird, but otherwise I’m just a huge sucker for it.

Evan

Great picture and yeah I love outside shots as well. The heads look strange tho…did they print some zombie head designs and wrap them onto normal heads using stickers?

I wonder the same things about the heads, actually. I added their flickr account as a contact so I could ask, but they haven’t reciprocated yet.

I do like the heads. Nice and skeletal, although they lack much in the way of gore or other grotesquery.

Evan

Not that I blame them of course…Legos and the rare parts can cost a fortune. I think just between Zombies and weapons I am out over $200 since I started doing this.

Miles

I’ve got those heads! I mentioned them in a previous comment. I bought them off eBay in a big sheet, they are downloadable off the internet too! Just look for ‘Lego zombie head decals’ and Lego zombie decals’ to find printable images of Lego zombie heads and torsos. PLEASE NOTE: BEST USING PLAIN HEADS AND TORSOS TO STICK THE DECALS ON TO. I REALLY AM HAVING TROUBLE FINDING SOME ABOUT.

Evan

Stunning…I had no clue how vast and active this market was.

I do understand the pricing tho. You’re talking about a product that is so well made it still works perfectly 20 + years later. So the quality is there but at a premium. I found a bucket of legos from 1990 and after a nice oxyclean and H202 bath they were flawless. Undetectable mixed with the new pieces.

Anyway…yeah please post their response if you get one. Might be a fun project to mask normal minifigs in crowds.

When I first got back into the hobby couple years back I was just stunned as well. I really appreciate the sites like Bricklink. If they didn’t have them I’d be bulk-buying on eBay. Blech.

If I hear back I’ll definitely post.

I’ve actually been wanting to get some of the people who are good at minifig customs on here for guest blogs, so if anyone knows of any, let me know.

Designbysoap

Thanks for the post guys, glad you’re enjoying our creation. In answer to a few questions we did the heads and torso’s with decals bought online. You just cut them out and stick them on to grey heads, then we added hair or hats to cover the join lines.
It was a lot of fun…

Darg

Same, though as I look closer on the first shot you posted, you can see the seams on the backs of two heads.
Still, awesome job, regardless.